martes, 19 de noviembre de 2013

Wikis or blogs?

Wikis or blogs? 







After experiencing first-hand how blogs and wikis work, I feel there are some positive and negative aspects that should be mentioned. 

From a general point of view, I think some advantages they both share are: they are free and virtual (so it may encourage people to create one or participate); they are useful tools to help us make use of technologies in a deep way; and they provide people with information and allow them to share their thoughts or doubts, so they can communicate. However, a disadvantage would be that, like any other virtual element, there is always a risk of hacking. 

Now, if we analyse them from an educational perspective, we can see that blogs and wikis help students develop their creativity because they play an active role, they are the ones in charge of the blog or the wiki, so the care of them depends on them. Also, in these blogs and wikis they can work in groups, so they learn to collaborate and they can understand their classmates’ viewpoints thanks to the possible discussions and debates that can take place. Nevertheless, if students are not responsible, the blogs or wikis will inevitably fail. In addition, I believe some students might not feel motivated because they think the best way to learn is in class, physically, with the teacher, not virtually. 



Now I’m going to talk about wikis and blogs separately:



With respect to wikis, I really love the fact that we can create different pages with several and distinct information in a very ordered and organized way. Actually, people can find the section they want to look at very easily. In our case, in our wiki Learningenglishisfun3, each of us have a page and there are some others for different aspects: second life, research questions, comments and doubts, etc. Moreover, they are very easy to update. Although I have been dealing with wikis for a few time, I have come to like it so much. In fact, one of the reasons why I like it is the fact that it is rather easy to use (and this is quite important especially for people qho are bad at technologies like me).

Regarding blogs, I hate their structure; that is, for instance, when a blog has several entries, you can spend ages trying to find the one you are interested in (contrary to what happens with wikis). Blogs are also easy to employ, but in comparison to wikis, I find them more difficult to invite people to become members/editors of the blog.

Finally, now that I know the wikis, I prefer them to blogs because they are more practical and even simple, though elaborated at the same time. I would also like to mention that I would use wikis in work group, whereas I feel blogs should be used individually.

P.S.-Here you have a video about wikis and blogs where we are provided with some tips and information. 

17 comentarios:

  1. Sara, I totally agree with you with respect to what you mention about the students' collaboration in blogs and wikis because learners can participate actively in both systems. Nevertheless, I feel that the roles of the members are different, i.e. in the wiki we all are organisers and we can edit all the pages but in blogs, although more than one person can write entries, the creator is the only one who can completely delete the comments of other members.

    Nonetheless, I think blogs, as wikis, have an organised structure and the distinct can easily be found since I can move from one entry to another by clicking on the entries' name.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yes, in this case of 'blogger' blogs are quite structured, but I remember using another webpage to create my blog and it was a chaos. You could choose the month (to look for a concrete entry) but then, you had to go one by one, looking all the entries. So it was pretty annoying...

      Eliminar
    2. Yes, that's true. A friend of mine writes a blog about fashion and it's very difficult to re-read an entry if you don't remember the date (or at least the month).

      Eliminar
    3. Yes, that's the problem :S:S:S

      Eliminar
  2. As for the video, I think it's similar to the photograph I included in my entry since the main similarities and differences are explained, don't you think so? However, I think it's a good idea that you include it because it is very explanatory :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Maybe at first, Azu, but later on, the man in the video provides us with some tips in relation to creating our blog or wiki, and the picture of your entry was just about the differences and similarities between blogs and wikis. What do you think? :)

      Eliminar
    2. Yes, you're right: the tips are really interesting. I hope you weren't upset with my comment. I just told you that it rings a bell to me since it was quite similar to my picture. :)

      Eliminar
    3. No way! I wasn't upset, don't worry! You were right, but I jus wanted to make my point clear :) :)

      Eliminar
  3. This is a GREAT post Sara, thanks for sharing. And the link to the video is also appreciated.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you, Rossana. I am curious: with which of the advantages of blogs and wikis depicted in my entry do you agree the most?

      Eliminar
  4. Hey guys, which one do you think is more useful for educational contexts: wikis or blogs?

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Why don't you write this question in our wiki? You can create a new page and ask this question. Do you agree?

      Eliminar
    2. Ok, I don't mind, do you all agree? :)

      Eliminar
    3. Well, I don't mind writing here or there, but I do believe that this might be an interesting topic for discussion, and that's why we created our wiki, right? To discuss about these things.

      Eliminar
    4. Ok, let's go to the wiki then :D

      Eliminar